Mar 14, 2009

Of Politics ... & Crab?


Tonight I shot a tradition that, to my knowledge, is truly a Pacific County original. It's strange that in my 6.5 years here I had never made it to the Pacific County Democrats annual crab feed. It's basically a schmoozefest of sorts where local Dems get to rub shoulders with a variety of elected officials of the same party. City, county, state and national politicians were onhand for the crowded feast ... and silent auction of all things Left.

Early on I found Washington State Senator Brian Hatfield chatting up US Congressman Brian Baird in the foyer. Baird spent a fair amount of time out front meeting folks as they came in. I'm sure he doesn't remember (why would he?) But one of the first non-sports assignments I shot for the Columbian in '98 was a Baird fundraising pancake feed in downtown Vancouver when he was running for the Senate for the first time.


One person who was not there (though usually is) was Gov. Christine Gregoire. Apparently the governor came down with a case of laryngitis and was told not to talk for three or four days. So in her place, one of her reps gave a speech on her behalf. Towards the end of which one of the guys in the audience shouted out something to the affect of "Let's save Naselle Youth Camp!" The potential closing of which is probably the one thing that locals are not in line with her on. After his speech the rep made his way through the audience and spoke to the guy briefly ... I wonder if it would have even been brought up if Gregoire herself had been there?

After a couple hours I was getting ready to head out but decided to hang out over by the food line as the dinner line was winding down. The event is manned by not only the county Dems club, but also politicans, like longtime county commisioner Bud Cuffel, who I found mopping up.



-DKM

No comments: