Jun 13, 2009

Graduation Day part deux, Futbol, and ...Football?

Tonight was Naselle's graduation night. Here's a few I liked.

These two are of the same couple. I liked them both, thought I'd put them up here for now and think about which is best for publication. I tell ya, I've been pretty lucky in finding young couples at these things the last couple weeks.




A few posts back I posted a couple pix from the story we were working on about a team in the Liga Hispana men's futbol league that was made up almost exclusively by students from Ilwaco high. The story ran last week so I thought I'd add the photo that ended up being the lead for the package. I think it kinda shows how hard it can be as a young player going up against these older guys with more experience. Cool thing is, in the first round of teh playoffs they knocked off the number 2 seeded team, so I'll likely be shooting their semifinal game on Wednesday night. You can see a gallery of pix of the team at the sports blog


And finally, even though school is now out at both high schools here, the sports calendar is almost as busy as the regular seasons. On Monday I shot a spring scrimmage between IHS and NHS. Here's a nice find I got.



Postscript
I meant to add this to my last post, but it didn't seem right, so for those family and friends who care about such things: A couple weeks ago at the annual awards dinner for the Washington chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists I repeated in winning the photography portfolio award in the non-daily category for the second year in a row. It's given in recognition of the best body of work for the year, which is really what I care most about. I also took first in spot news photo and a second in feature photo. What was one of the cooler things on the night was randomly being seated next to a man who is the son of Bill Wagner, a buddy of mine who lives in Astoria and has been a photog at the Daily News in Longview for years. He was there because his wife was winning something. She's out of the journalism now, and they recently got back from somewhere in South America where they were doing research on penguins of all things (not the arctic kind I guess), pretty cool.

-DKM

No comments: