May 22, 2011

Alan is Awesome & Cool x 4

Last night in Seattle was the annual Washington chapter of Society of Professional Journalists awards. I didn't go this time, though I kinda wish I had as the event was held at Safeco Field where the M's play, and one of my all-time photo heroes, Alan Berner of the Seattle Times, was given a career achievement award. I have long admired his work and have had the chance to meet and talk with him a handful of times, though I'm pretty sure he wouldn't remember. His stuff is always great and he's a really laid back dude who's cool to talk with. He was actually the one who turned me onto The Americans by Robert Frank, one of my all-time favorite photo books.
The Times had a nice article about Alan in the paper today, along with a link to a career-spanning gallery of his work. There is also a gallery on Facebook HERE from the event, including Alan's speech. And yeah, dude carries his camera everywhere with him, something else I learned a long time ago.



As for me, I won the Photo Portfolio award in the non-daily category, for the fourth year in a row, so that was pretty cool. Once again I entered a 10-image portfolio, all in B&W, which you can see below if you like.  I also took a third for the sports photo that is the last image in the gallery.







-DKM

No comments: