May 26, 2011

Three out of four ain't bad

Yesterday I drove up to Dupont for the final round of the 1A state golf tournament to photograph the IHS boys team win their second-straight title, and third in the last four years. That, my friends, is what you call a dynasty in the world of high school sports.

Here's Ryan Kukula hitting out of a bunker on the back nine. You'll notice the umbrella to the right. The rain came down pretty steadily throughout the 18 holes, and then as if on schedule, stopped almost immediately after the tournament had ended.

Patrick Whealdon had a really nice final round and had some rally nice shots.

One of the spectators asked me about the rain and I said I liked the visual of all the umbrellas but I did not however like the wet. I ended up fastening a small-ish umbrella of my own to the monopod for my big lens, which helped some but was a pain to manage while walking the course.

Clark Wilson had a very nice tournament, finishing sixth overall.

Here's Ryan reacting to one of the best shots I've ever seen in high school golf. A 215-yard out approach shot with a 4 iron, landing soft on the green and rolling to within maybe a foot of the hole. Such a great shot, I totally thought it was going to go in. Ryan ended up finishing tied for second.

Ryan's younger brother Ross didn't have as good of a day as he'd like. He had some really nice shots ended up just short on some puts or landed in some trouble spots on the fly. But he'll be back next year and I bet will be right back in the mix.

Patrick ended his high school career with a really nice final round, good enough to tie for fourth after being back like eight shots after the first day.


Congrats guys, well played!

-DKM

No comments: