Oct 28, 2008

Football, football, football...

... In a way it feels like that's all I've been shooting lately. Of course, being essentially gone for three out of five weeks this month could have something to do with it. But in looking at my work load this month, 5 of the 11 assignments I've shot have been football games. This week I'm finally getting back to normal with a bit more variety planned, but here's a few pix from last week:

Last Thursday I did something that I can't really recall if I've ever done before, and that's shoot a junior high football game. It was Ilwaco Middle's last home game and they played great, winning 36-6. One of the highlights for me was being surprised by how great one of our friends oldest son was. Wyatt Wullger is a running back for the team and scored three touchdowns in the game (and he really only played offense in the first half. Here he is brushing away tacklers like oh so much dust...

It was actually pretty fun to shoot, though for some reason I did not dress as warmly as I tend to do at a varsity game and was freezing by the end. I put together a gallery of some of the pix that I liked on the Friday Night Sights blog HERE

The next night it was back to the gridiron once more, as I was in Naselle to shoot their homecoming game. I LOVE homecoming games, I guess because I really like the various things associated with the game and youth and tradition and not just the action on the field. And this game had it all. Funny thing is, the game was so tight and down to the wire that for the first time this year I think the action I got was better than off the field stuff... funny how that works?

(I know its a bit grainy. The D200 does pretty well at high ISO, way better IMO than the D2X, but iso 2000 is really kinda pushing it. But the field at Naselle is not very well lit. Even at such a high iso I was still only able to squeeze out an exposure of 1/200th at 2.8). Here Nick Hines, who was the star of the game with four TDs and was crowned homecoming king at halftime, has his helmet pulled completely sideways during a catch and run for a score.

Halftime with crowning stuff is a favorite as I think its kinda classically funny on some levels to see the girls dressed up all pretty and fancy and then the boys, many of which are players, are standing next to them all dirty and sweaty. Add some pretty cold temps and a sleeveless dress and your teeth might chatter a bit too...

With less than a minute to go and the visiting team trailing by 2, this defensive play was a game-saver as if it were caught would probably have been a TD for the other team. Even though a poorly called interference penalty was called the Comets were able to hold tough to get a hand on the ensuing field goal try with 10 seconds left to win the game.

As always, there is a gallery from the game on the Friday Night Sights blog, which you can check out HERE if you like.

Rod Mar, a great sports shooter for the Seattle Times has also been shooting a number of homecoming games this year, though he has a particularly different take on them. Read his blog HERE

Finally, a little off topic, yesterday was a HELL of a day, on many levels, but one nice little surprise was when I stopped by Ness' shop to say hi and found Wyse hiding under a prep table trying out a potato he had grabbed from her pantry. He is always into to everything ... and he's not even 2 yet!


-DKM

No comments: