Oct 26, 2009

Endless, Nameless

Todays post is named after the "secret song" at the end of the Nirvana album Nevermind. On some of the original CDs after seemingly ending the album with the hushed acoustic track Something in the Way, if you let the disk keep playing for like another six or seven minutes you get the long, loud, lyrically unintelligible track that just keeps going for almost 7 minutes.
After more than a week without posting anything, what you're basically getting here is one long recap of last week or so for me. I'll try to keep my rantings a little more coherent than the song.
So we begin two Saturday's ago at the Naselle High School homecoming game. I like to think that they were thinking of me when they decided to schedule the game for a Saturday afternoon, but I know better. I will say that I'd gladly speak at a school board meeting and make a passionate plea to have more Saturday afternoon games in the future if anyone thinks it will do any good. Love shooting football during the day!
These are two pix that didn't make the paper that I liked from the coronation at halftime. I always think it makes a good pic when a football player wins and gets the cape and crown. The Comets were so far ahead by then that the coach actually let the players sit along the sidelines and watch, rather than heading off to the locker room. Can honestly say I've never seen that before.
The start of last week was also the start of what I'm referring to as the "sick days" at the Mulinix house, as my daughter came down with the flu. My wife took her to the doctor and was told that they aren't screening people for H1N1, but that we might as well assume that's what it was. By my day off on Wednesday everyone in my house had it — except me — to varying degrees. In fact, save for some added tiredness and a rough throat for a day or two, I was just fine. No clue why. I told Ness it was my superior Polish genes, but I have my doubts. As I was assessing the scene that afternoon I sent an email to my boss saying that my house was like the Dawn of the Dead with all the zombies around. I also considered putting a quarantine sign on the door like the one on the LOST hatch.
Anyway, by the time Thursday came around I was more than happy to get back to work. Here's an outtake from a little parade by the Boys & Girls Club kids I went to.
Later that evening I was up in Naselle to shoot volleyball. After a hot start to the season the girls hadn't been doing so well — they'd yet to win a league game. Guess I caught them on a good night, as they made short work of North Beach. And while I would like to think that I was some kind of lucky charm for the team, I have my doubts yet again as a bunch of players came down with the flu a day later and they had to cancel their appearance in an invite tourney Saturday.
After a drive up to Menlo in the afternoon the next day I was out in the cold at Peterson Field for the Ilwaco homecoming game. The coronation at halftime was a little different as the seniors came out escorted by their family and are then made to each open a box in front of them that shows if they have won. Annika Wolters was the queen this year, to which she and her mom were pretty excited about. The girl has had a tough year, and it was nice to see her classmates get behind her.
The king, Troy Harkness' mom Maryann was pretty excited as well. You may remember a few weeks back I caught some ridiculous flack from some staff at the school for a picture of two students briefly kissing before a football game. Hope they don't have the same feelings about this one.
The game itself was a pretty rough affair, as the team the Fishermen were playing started taking cheap shots late in the third quarter. I guess they figured they could get away with it since the referees essentially turned a blind eye to it. The Fishermen hung tough for quite awhile, but couldn't keep up in the fourth quarter.
The next morning I had the chance to meet up with a father who was taking his 12-year-old daughter hunting for the first time. Now, I'll have to add that this was not her first time out, more like her fourth or fifth, but this season has been her first. It was mostly a lot of walking, as we never saw any game. Jerry said that was likely because the weather was so bright and calm. There also wasn't many chances to catch them interacting much, as it is a fairly quiet and almost solitary kind of thing. I like these ones though. I also have plans to go out with another family that duck hunts, so we'll see how that goes.

Lastly, later that night I went to the candlelight vigil down at the Bolstad beach approach — part of domestic violence awareness month. What really made it poignant was the fact that it took place less than 100 yards away from the memorial for Lisa Bonney, and the fact that her sister Kim and several friends, including the woman in the pic below who had been a friend since childhood, were there. I got to talk with her some afterward and found that she lives in McMinnville, and has for several years. In fact she lived there when Me and Ness did, and her apartment is only a few blocks away from the house we lived in. Small world I guess.


No comments: