Jan 31, 2013

Bella Brownlee, Doernbecher Children's Hospital, Portland, Or.


Yesterday afternoon I drove to Portland to spend a little time with Bella Brownlee and her mom Karen at Doernbecher Children's Hospital. Bella, who has had heart problems since birth is on an extended stay at the facility after the incision from a recent surgery became infected, putting her at risk of another, bigger surgery. I wasn't there long, as I didn't want to intrude on their time, but while there I was amazed at how Bella, who is 11, is taking this all in stride, very bravely. She's a remarkable young lady who I've known since she was a very little girl.
Above, she and her mom pray with the hospital chaplain prior to having a pic line IV put in, hopes that it would help speed her recovery. There will be a story on Bella in the paper next week, but in the meantime, you can keep up with Bella's progress on her mom's Facebook page.



-DKM

PS - these pix were all taken on film after having picked up a used Leica literally minutes before going to the hospital. It's a camera I love and have missed these last several years, and am very excited about shooting more film in the days ahead. As I told Natalie a few weeks ago, I'm declaring 2013 the Year of Film for us, very happy to get the ball rolling!
*The Year of Film, 2013*


1 comment:

naquaiya said...

Get well Bella, we are all praying for you. Even in these photos you look very strong and beautiful.