Sep 11, 2008

Bungee boarding

SO my wife, who is an avid surfer and a surf rescue swimmer, tipped me off to this crazy new thing some of her buddies were doing out in the water last week. It's called bungee boarding, and yes, it's pretty much exactly as it sounds. This long, braided bungee cord is anchored into the surf. One person pulls it tight and another person, with a skim board under their feet, grabs the other handle. When the holder lets go, the surfer goes for a ride into the waves.
This was one of the funnest things I've shot in a while. It got to the beach (which was totally socked in with fog while the rest of town was beautiful), put on my hip waders (anytime I get to use these I'm loving it) and waded out with them into the surf.
Of course this led to some spectacular wipe-outs...


It's nowhere near as dangerous as it may sound, but it's definitely as fun as it looks...



I guess my 7-year-old hip waders have finally sprung a little leak, as I left with a pair of wet legs afterward, but it was well worth it...


-DKM

No comments: